Sunday 22 March 2015

First visit to the Vet !

First Visit to the Vet. 

Finally we're going to the vet. See! Kida is so thin now, penis-shape. She's currently 205g =(
I'll try my best to fatten her up again ! 

Visit with the vet took 30+mins. He took down ALOT of notes and asked ALOT of questions. It is really nice of him to want to try to find the root of the problem but I must admit that some of his suggestions must be taken with a pinch of salt.

Firstly, I'm not saying he is wrong, in fact, he is the only few Vets in Singapore that sees rats, so from that I can tell that he's already very experienced, and I really really appreciate him trying so hard to find the root of her respiratory infection. But its just hard for me to think those possibilities he stated was the cause and I don't blame him because it is very hard to access the whole situation when it's only the first time he saw Kida.

He said that she is probably not eating because maybe the new lab blocks are toxic. Kida started being sick 2 months ago, and I only had the new lab blocks 1 month + ago. I bought Mazuri because my old Prolab lab blocks wasn't doing so well for my girls. I brought Mazuri from a rat breeder who is also feeding her rats this, and in fact, many other people purchase from her as well, and my other two rats are fine. So.. I'm dont think it's my Mazuri lab blocks. In fact, Mazuri is rated one of the better quality lab blocks ( AND NOT CHEAP OKAY ! )  So maybe is the Pro-lab then? But I have a friend who is also feeding his girls Pro-lab and his rats are fine. Then Vet said that every individual is different, so, just in case, I emailed and see if I could purchase Harlan Teklad already, since its the best so far. Hope everything goes well. Better to be safe than sorry.

Next he said give filtered water. I've always been giving them tap, so okay, I'll change that !

Then he said No veggies. Because might contain pesticides and thus, toxic. Well I washed them, but he said it might not be enough. Thing is I've always been giving them veggies from time to time since they're young, and fruits and veggies are important for the immune system no? So this one, sorry, I'll still feed her Broccoli but I'll take extra care with the washing and I'll boil it first (does that help?). Broccoli is good for her lungs!

Maybe their bedding. This one most likely not, I've been using the same brand since the beginning of time, and it's also supposedly the best for rats. Recommended ! Kaytee as bedding and Carefresh as litter box. Maybe I should just use cloth?

Then he suspect Klover (my 7-month old) was the carrier of the disease and said that I should have quarantine Klover for a month before mixing them together. But Klover has already been with them 4 months before Kida started falling sick.

 He said to call him back in 3 days for an update which is sweet of him. And thanks for the medicine Doctor!



Yes consultation was freaking $71 ! Oh gosh Jamie, please give me discount next time! And medicine is only $21, can I just go get the meds next time without the consultation with the doctor? 


Anyways, these are the medicine that Kida is currently on right now. Prednisolone for appetite and inflammation he say. 2 drops per day.

AND THIS ! Baytril and Meloxicam, I knew I was going to get Baytril! Luckily I only need to give 0.1ml each, 10 mins apart. Kida was okay with Baytril which I can understand why but that MELOXICAM, YUCK, smells and looks like glue. My poor baby, I quickly gave her some banana after that. Wish me luck for feeding her that again for dinner.


Looking better.

Yesterday (before visiting Vet), I said she looked better from her eyes after giving her the natural remedy I saw online and this is what I meant.
Left picture she clearly looks.. wrong.. Zombie-like. Blank.
Right picture, better. normal, cute eyes. She's actually looking at the piece of bedding and accessing if it was treat. And because she can't really see (Red eyes), she was staring intently and sniffing, it was funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment